Prep Time: 10 min
Cook Time: 20-30 min
Yield: 1 Cup
Note: This can be enjoyed on any dishes you would like additional heat! It can be refrigerated for up to 3 months and in a glass jar container on the counter for 1 month. In the refrigerator it may solidify the oil but you can let it sit on the counter at room temperature to bring back to smooth consistency.
- 6 tbsp Red Chili Flakes or Gochugaru (Korean Chili Flakes)
- 1 tbsp of White Sesame Seeds
- 1 tsp of Sichuan Peppercorns, ground
- Pinch of Chinese Five Spice Powder
- 3 tbsp of garlic, minced
- 1 tbsp of ginger, minced
- 1 ½ cups of light olive oil or neutral oil like peanut, grapeseed or avocado oil
- Add red chili flakes/gochugaru, sichuan peppercorns, five spice powder to a heat safe bowl.
- Add oil to a small pot, turn heat to medium low. Heat for about 5 minutes then turn it off. Add garlic and ginger to hot oil in pot. Be careful to avoid splatter!
- Then carefully pour the hot oil into the heat safe bowl, slowly to coat the chili mixture.
- Let the oil cool as it sits at room temperature for 20-30 minutes. Then add sesame seeds.
Enjoy over the cauliflower scramble or gomasio crusted tofu!